We've enjoyed reading and knitting along with our Book Club in 2019, so we are going to continue into 2020!
We have chosen 3 different books featuring strong female protagonists, in a setting of fairytales, myths, or ancient history, with a sprinkling of fiber art, for this year's reading. Our designers and our dyeing will be inspired by the book selections.
The 2020 Miss Babs Book Club will go on sale on Monday, December 9, 2019.
- Our club will include THREE shipments, to be sent in March, June, and September.
- The projects will include knitted neck accessories (aka shawls, cowls, etc), at an advanced beginner to intermediate skill level.
- You do NOT have to read the books to participate (although we think you'll enjoy doing so!), and copies of the books are NOT included in the price of the club - we'll have suggestions for getting these books whether in paper, electronic copies, audiobook format, or from your local library.
- We'll host read-alongs and knit-alongs in our Ravelry group.
- The yarns will be a range of weights from heavy lace to DK, and Babs will dye an original and club-exclusive colorway for each shipment.
- 2020's designers are Elizabeth Ravenwood, Tamy Gore, and Jennifer Kirchenbauer of LavishCraft. We invite you to check out their previous designs for a sense of the (gorgeous!) work they do.
- The cost will be $220 for shipments to the USA; $240 to Canada; $275 for the rest of the world.
- We will be offering the option of installment payments as in previous years.
In general, if you’re a newer knitter, these projects will help build skills and gently stretch your knitting muscles. For experienced knitters, these will be relaxing and fun. We also have a Ravelry group for all your excitement, knit-alongs, read-alongs, questions, knitting support, and prizes.
The first block of memberships will be available from December 9 until December 24 (or until these sell out); a limited number of remaining memberships will be available again after January 1 until we sell all memberships.
The 2020 Book Club includes three shipments.
Each package will contain:
- A book recommendation (no books themselves are included)
- Yarn specifically dyed for the project, evocative of something we’ve found inspiring in the book
- A pattern designed in the yarn and color, inspired by the book
- Any sundries necessary for the design (beads, buttons, etc; needles are not included), plus stitch markers or other related accessories
- A brief bit of background on the book, author, and/or setting
- Packages will ship in March, June, and September 2020
The patterns will be distributed electronically through Ravelry, either gifted to your Ravelry ID to store in your library or sent to you via email.
We will be available in our Ravelry group to help with any knitting questions and discuss the books. Of course, you're always welcome to email us!
Sign-ups will be open for two time periods:
Monday, December 9, 2019 at 7 a.m. EST to Tuesday, December 24, 2019 at 5 p.m. EST. or until number of memberships for this timeframe are sold.
Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 12 noon EST to mid-February (or until memberships are sold out).
The cost will be $220 for shipments to the USA; $240 to Canada; $275 for the rest of the world.
We will be offering the option of installment payments as in previous years.