We're going to have a new club! Over the past seven years, we've been around the world, “traveling” to many fascinating destinations with our Knitting Tour. Now we're going to move in a slightly different direction with the Miss Babs Book Club.
We have been looking forward to sharing new sources of inspiration with you. Many of us at the studio are avid readers, and so when the idea of a book club theme came up, we all instantly said YES! Our book selections will remain a surprise until the shipping date of the club packages, but we wanted to do a couple things with our selections:
- Avoid very popular books from the last 5-10 years that may have been book club selections
- Fit loosely to the theme of historical fiction
- We ourselves enjoyed reading these books and we hope that they appeal to a wide range of readers.
We invite you to knit and read along with us in our new club for 2019 with three new shawl patterns. We've chosen three books, unexpected and interesting works of historical fiction, to inspire our designers and our dyeing for next year.
The 2019 Miss Babs Book Club will go on sale on Monday, December 10, 2018.
- UNLIKE previous years, our club will include THREE shipments, to be sent in March, June, and September.
- The projects will include knitted neck accessories (aka shawls), at an advanced beginner to intermediate skill level.
- You do NOT have to read the books to participate (although we think you'll enjoy doing so!), and copies of the books are NOT included in the price of the club - we'll have suggestions for getting these books whether in paper, electronic copies, audiobook format, or from your local library.
- We'll host read-alongs and knit-alongs in our Ravelry group.
- The yarns will be a range of weights from lace to sport, and Babs will dye an original and club-exclusive colorway for each shipment.
- 2019’s designers are Boo Knits, Amanda Scheuzger, and Tetiana Otruta.
- The cost will be $220 for shipments to the USA; $240 to Canada; $275 for the rest of the world.
- We will be offering the option of installment payments as in previous years.
In general, if you’re a newer knitter, these projects will help build skills and gently stretch your knitting muscles. For experienced knitters, these will be relaxing and fun. We also have a Ravelry group for all your excitement, knit-alongs, read-alongs, questions, knitting support, and prizes.
The first block of memberships will be available from December 10 until December 24 (or until these sell out); a limited number of remaining memberships will be available again after January 1 until we sell all memberships.
The 2019 Book Club includes three shipments.
Each package will contain:
- A book recommendation (no books themselves are included)
- Yarn specifically dyed for the project, evocative of something we’ve found inspiring in the book
- A pattern designed in the yarn and color, inspired by the book
- Any sundries necessary for the design (beads, buttons, etc; needles are not included), plus stitch markers or other related accessories
- A brief bit of background on the book, author, and/or setting
- Packages will ship in March, June, and September 2019
The patterns will also be added to your Ravelry library for easy reference.
We will be available in our Ravelry group to help with any knitting questions and discuss the books.
Sign-ups will be open for two time periods:
Monday, December 10, 2018 at 7 a.m. EST to Monday, December 24, 2018 at 5 p.m. EST. or until number of memberships for this timeframe are sold
Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 12 noon EST to mid-February (or until memberships are sold out).
The cost will be $220 for shipments to the USA; $240 to Canada; $275 for the rest of the world.
We will be offering the option of installment payments as in previous years.
Differences from our previous club, the Miss Babs Knitting Tour:
- There will be three shipments instead of four
- There will not be food or candy included in the shipments
- We’re going to let the authors provide reading material instead of an extensive booklet!